Our GCSE Maths Tutors
Maths is a wonderful subject and a core life skill. However, many children approach Maths with trepidation. Some think it is too hard, while others fear they will never be good at it. Our tutors show students and parents that Maths need not be a source of anxiety or frustration. Fantastic communicators, they are dedicated to making Maths not only accessible, but fun and interesting. The patience, knowledge and enthusiasm of our GCSE Maths tutors is unrivalled and leaves students feeling confident and inspired.
All of our GCSE Maths tutors are highly qualified, experienced educators. Our team consists of teachers who have taught at top independent schools, full-time tutors and first class Oxbridge graduates. Our tutors share a passion for education and seek to showcase the delights of Maths to those they teach. They are always attentive to the needs of their pupils, quickly identifying their strengths and weaknesses, and provide targeted, carefully planned tuition.
At Hampstead and Frognal Tutors, we only hire the best. We have a multi-stage recruitment process which involves an application form, a face-to-face interview and DBS certification. When we recommend a tutor, therefore, we know you won’t be disappointed. We also provide frequent training and development opportunities for our maths tutors to maintain the highest standards.
How our Tutors Teach Maths
At school, teachers structure their lessons to suit the class they are teaching. However, we know that no child in one class is the same. They learn in different ways, go at different speeds and struggle with different topics. One pupil will fly through quadratic equations, while another will be baffled by them. Our GCSE Maths tutors are sensitive to the needs of their individual students. They are attentive listeners, and will hone in on the topics your child finds difficult. In this way, our GCSE Maths tutors ensure students have a deep and thorough understanding of the whole curriculum.
Children often wonder why Maths is important. What is the point in learning about simultaneous equations, probability diagrams and the Cosine rule? Our GCSE Maths tutors strive to enlighten them. As well as helping students excel in their exams, our tutors emphasise the central importance of Maths in daily life. They show their pupils that Maths is a highly relevant subject, as well being intellectually stimulating.
Face-to-face tuition is not all we offer at Hampstead and Frognal Tutors; we also provide private tuition via Skype. If you do not live in London — or even in the UK — this can be a fantastic option. We currently have hundreds of students around the world. We also run GCSE revision courses, where students are taught in classes of no more than six. Students who have attended these courses in the past have seen their grades soar.
GCSE Maths Results
Our Maths Tutors are results driven and focused on helping their students achieve the best grades.
- 100% of our GCSE Students raised their academic attainment and over achieved their predicted exam grades.
- 95% of GCSE Maths Exam Results were at least two grades higher than predicted
- Students found the maths easier after attending our Maths Tuition Programmes and Revision Courses
Matthew is a superb GCSE maths tutor. His manner is just right for my son; patient, understanding and highly motivating especially since maths doesn’t come easily for him. We were so impressed we asked Matthew to support our other children. My son went from a predicted grade 5 up to an 8. Very impressed.
Olga, London NW8
Exam Boards we Cover
GCSEs have changed a lot in the past few years. The government has made the exams more challenging, rigorous and wide-ranging. At Hampstead and Frognal Tutors, we carefully monitor changes to the curriculum and know exactly how children are examined. We are happy to answer any questions you may have about the new examination system.
Our GCSE Maths tutors have prepared students for all exam boards, including OCR, AQA, and Edexcel. Key aspects of the different syllabi is set out below.
- OCR: Students are required to sit three one and a half hour exams (Two calculator and one non-calculator). Each exam counts for a third of a student’s overall mark. The subject content includes: number operations and integers; decimals, fractions and percentages; indices and surds; approximation and estimation; algebra; graphs of equations and functions; geometry; congruence and similarity; mensuration; probability, and statistics.
- AQA: Students sit three one and a half hour exams (Two calculator and one non-calculator). The mathematical demand of the questions increases as students progress through the paper. Each exam counts for a third of a student’s overall mark. The subject content is divided into the following categories: Number, Algebra, Ratio, proportion and rates of change, Geometry and measures, Probability and Statistics.
- Edexcel: The qualification consists of three equally-weighted written examination papers (two calculator and one non-calculator). Each exam is one and a half hours long and is worth 80 marks. The assessments cover the following content headings: Number, Algebra, Ratio, proportion and rates of change, Geometry and measures, Probability and Statistics. Each paper has a range of question types; some questions will be set in both mathematical and non-mathematical contexts.
GCSE exam papers are no longer graded alphabetically. As you may know, A*- U has been replaced by 1-9, where 9 is the highest mark you can achieve. Our tutors are well acquainted with the new grading system and can answer any queries you or your child may have.
Is tuition right for your child?
GCSEs are the likely to be the first major set of examinations your child will sit. Nerves are inevitable. However, private tuition can do wonders for a teenager’s self-confidence, understanding and, ultimately, exam performance.
If Maths is a source of worry for your child, a GCSE Maths tutor could be the answer. We believe positivity and self-belief are two important elements of success, and our tutors nurture these qualities in their students. They are committed to demystifying Maths, and showing that every pupil can succeed. If your child is stuck on a particular topic, private tuition is also a valuable resource. Two or three focussed tuition sessions can untangle the knottiest of Maths problems.
Our outstanding maths tutors are keen for their students to excel. Whether your child loves numbers and is striving for a 9, or is anxious for extra support, our GCSE Maths tutors will help them to flourish.