Our GCSE German Tutors
Our GCSE German tutors showcase the joys of language learning, enabling teenagers to develop their speaking, writing and listening skills in a supportive environment.
The ability to speak another language is invaluable, and this can open exciting doors at university and in the world of work. Widely spoken in Europe and with a rich cultural history, German is a particularly interesting subject to study. However, many teenagers find it more demanding than other modern foreign languages, and exam entries for German GCSE have fallen in recent years.
Our experienced team of tutors (you can search tutors here) is determined to change this. United by a passion for education, our team consists of current and former teachers, full-time professional tutors and first class Oxbridge graduates who have lived and worked in Germany. All pride themselves on the quality of their tuition, and are committed to seeing their pupils succeed.
We want to find the best tutors for the families we work with. As a result, Hampstead and Frognal Tutors has a rigorous recruitment process. All candidates must attend face-to-face interviews, provide professional references, and attain a DBS certificate – only the very best are invited to join the team.
How our GCSE German Tutors Teach
A student’s confidence is key when it comes to learning German. One-to-one tuition will give your child the tailored support they need to get to grips with this tricky language. Using a blend of traditional teaching methods and multimedia resources, our tutors build teenagers’ vocabularies and deepen their grammatical understanding. Our German Tutors also encourage students to speak German as much as they can in tutoring sessions to help them apply their language skills. Therefore, next time they are in Germany – or in a GCSE oral exam – they can converse with confidence and flair.
GCSE language assessments have become even more demanding in recent years, so exam preparation is central to they way we teach. Whether it involves going through past papers, studying mark schemes, or devising effective revision techniques, our tutors enable students to shine in the exam hall and stand out from their peers.
We also know that no teenager learns in exactly the same way, or finds the same topics difficult. Our German tutors adapt to the needs of individual pupils, setting them a series of long and short term goals. We also do not let our students underestimate themselves, challenging them to take risks and perform the very best they can.
Online GCSE German Tutoring option
As well as providing face-to-face tuition, our tutors regularly teach online, working with families outside of London or based overseas. This is an excellent option and learning can be a highly effective without the need for travelling. Online tutoring is becoming very popular with many families across the UK and overseas students attending International Schools.
Exam Boards we cover:
Our GCSE tutors prepare students for all of the main GCSE exam boards at higher and foundation level. Listed below are details of how candidates are examined.
Students learn about home and the local area; health and sport; leisure and entertainment; travel and the wider world; and education and work.
- Listening. Students must listen for, identify and note main points, and take details from German of increasing length, speed and complexity. 45 minute written exam. 20% of total course.
- Speaking: Students must speak about at least two topics and justify their opinions. 30% of total course.
- Reading: Students must read, identify and note main points from German. 45 minutes. 20% of total course.
- Writing: Students must write about at least two topics and justify their opinions. Coursework. 30% of total course.
Students study three ‘themes’ in German: identity and culture; local, national and global areas of interest; and current and future study and employment.
- Listening. 45 minute exam worth 25% of total course.
- Speaking. 10-12 minute exam worth 25% of total course.
- Reading. 1 hour exam worth 25% of total course.
- Writing. 1 hour 15 minute exam worth 25% of total course.
Students learn about identity and culture; their local area; holiday and travel; school; future aspirations, study and work; and international and global dimensions.
- Listening: 50 minutes worth 25% of total course, covers all topics.
- Speaking 12 minutes worth 25% of total course, covers all topics.
- Reading: 1 hour worth 25% of total course, covers all topics.
- Writing: 1 hour 20 minutes worth 25% of total course, covers all topics.
Our German tutors can prepare students for German IGCSE as well the standard qualification. IGCSEs were introduced 30 years ago by Cambridge Assessment International Education and were created for international students. Many independent schools, as well as state schools, now offer IGCSEs as an alternative to the more common qualification. Universities and employers regard IGCSE and GCSE as equivalent qualifications.
The IGCSE course covers everyday activities; personal and social life; the world around us; the world of work; and the international world.
- Listening: 45 minutes worth 25% of total course. Candidates listen to a number of recordings and answer questions testing comprehension.
- Reading: 45 minutes worth 25% of total course. Candidates read a number of texts and answer questions testing comprehension
- Speaking: 15 minute exam, worth 25% of total course. Candidates complete two role plays, a topic presentation/conversation and a general conversation
- Writing: 1 hour, worth 25% of total course. Candidates respond to three tasks.
Is tuition right for your child?
GCSEs can be stressful for teenagers and parents alike, but at Hampstead and Frognal Tutors we want to make Years 10 and 11 as fun and rewarding as possible. Our tutors instil knowledge, self-belief and motivation in their students, enabling them to excel in their examinations and beyond.
If you would like to request a tutor or a free assessment please click here.