Our A Level Biology Tutors
A Level Biology is a big step up from GCSE. Designed to test students’ theoretical understanding and practical skill, the course covers topics such as genetics, evolution, ecosystems and the human immune system. Our A Level Biology tutors give teenagers the support they need to shine in this exciting stage of their school career. Dedicated, knowledgeable and inspiring, they bring out the best in every pupil, equipping them with the understanding and confidence they need to succeed. Whether your child is struggling in class, or simply needs a pre-exam boost, we are here to help.
Our A Level Biology tutors are subject specialists with impressive Science degrees. Many have taught at leading independent schools. Others are first class graduates from Oxford or Cambridge. All possess more than a strong academic record, however. Our tutors couple intelligence with enthusiasm and sensitivity, and are committed to helping youngsters flourish. We know that no student is the same, and will strive to find a tutor with the right skills, personality and experience to suit your child’s needs and aspirations.
Our recruitment process is demanding. When applying to become a tutor with us, candidates must provide proof of their qualifications and supply at least two references. We make sure to interview all of our tutors in person, and require them to own an up-to-date DBS certificate. In short, we only hire the best. When we recommend a tutor, therefore, we know they won’t let you down.
How our Tutors Teach Biology
Our bespoke tuition is crafted to suit the requirements of individual pupils. A Level Biology tests a range of different skills, and every teenager has different strengths and weaknesses. One student will struggle with experiments, while another will be baffled by scientific diagrams. Our A Level tutors look carefully at their students’ work, and listen thoughtfully to their concerns, in order to provide focused academic support. The pace of lessons is adjusted to suit individual pupils — something which can’t be done in a school classroom — and our tutors hone in on problem areas.
Exam technique is crucial at A Level. Our tutors know the Biology syllabus inside out, and are very familiar with the different assessment criteria. They ensure the whole curriculum is thoroughly covered, therefore, and that students are rigorously prepared. They can also advise teenagers on how to revise, how to take notes, how to manage their time, and how to tackle specific types of question.
At Hampstead and Frognal Tutors, however, we know that students are more likely to perform well in exams when they are enthusiastic and motivated. Sixth Form is the perfect time for teenagers to develop their academic interests and explore their chosen subjects in greater depth. Our Biology tutors promote curiosity and passion, and always strive to spark a love of science in their pupils.
If you live outside of London — or outside of the UK — you can still access our fantastic tuition services. Our tutors teach in person and online via Skype, and we currently help hundreds of families across the globe.
A-level Biology Results
- 100% of our Biology Tutors graduated with an Oxbridge or Russell University degree in a science subject.
- 97% of our Biology Students improved their grades by at least two points following the Mock Exams.
- 100% of Medicine Applicants were accepted to their first choice University.
Our daughter needed support after a disappointing exam result at the end of Year 12. Karine, the Biology Tutor was delightful, patient, understanding and clearly very knowledgeable in Biology and Chemistry. Karine helped and motivated my daughter out of the rut, and she regained much confidence throughout Year 13 ready for her exams. Thank you so much for providing such a professional and lovely tutor.
Kathy, LONDON SW6
Exam Boards we Cover
Our tutors have prepared students for all the A Level exam boards, including OCR, AQA and Edexcel. Listed below are key aspects of the different A Level Biology syllabi and details of how students are examined.
- OCR: The content of the course is split into six modules: (1) Development of practical skills in biology (2) Foundations in biology, (3) Exchange and transport, (4) Biodiversity, evolution and disease (5) Communication, homeostasis and energy (6) Genetics, evolution and ecosystems.
- Students must sit two 2 hours 15 minutes written papers, each worth 37% of the total A Level. They must also sit one 1 hour 30 minutes written exam, worth 26% of the total A Level.
- AQA: Students study eight main topics: (1) Biological molecules, (2) Cells, (3) Organisms exchange substances with their environment , (4) Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms, (5) Energy transfers in and between organisms, (6) Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments, (7) Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems,(8) The control of gene expression.
- Students must sit two 2 hours written exams worth 35% of the total qualification. They also sit a 2 hours written exam worth 30% of the total A Level.
- Edexcel: The course is divided into eight topics: (1) Lifestyle, Health and Risk, (2) Genes and Health, (3) Voice of the Genome, (4) Biodiversity and Natural Resources, (5) On the Wild Side, (6) Immunity, infection and Forensics, (7) Run for your Life, (8) Grey Matter.
- Students must sit three equally weighted papers. Each one is 2 hours long, and one exam assesses ‘General and Practical Applications in Biology’.
Is tuition right for your child?
Private tuition could transform your child’s attitude towards learning and exams. One-to-one teaching is a powerful thing, and is proven to boost teenagers’ confidence, motivation and, ultimately, exam performance. Whether your child is finding the A Level Biology course a struggle, or hopes to embark on a career in Medicine, our world class tutors will maximise their academic potential.
A Levels are some of the most important exams students sit, and how your child performs will determine what they can do next. The tuition we provide allows teenagers to enter exam halls filled with knowledge and self belief, on course for a brilliant future.
If you would like to request a tutor or a free assessment please click here.