Our GCSE History Tutors
The Hampstead and Frognal GCSE History tutors are passionate about evidence-based enquiry and debate; they work to foster a love of historical study in their students. They are adept at bringing a range of historical eras to life, whether this involves the study of crime and policing in nineteenth century London or life in Mao’s China. Each session is individually tailored to the needs of the child, ensuring they develop analytical thinking skills. Our tutors use a range of activities to make the study of history engaging and thought-provoking.
Our GCSE History tutors are highly-qualified subject specialists. Many are experienced classroom teachers with an in-depth knowledge of the demands of the curriculum. All of our tutors are extremely well-qualified graduates who can extend their students’ thinking beyond the syllabus. They are highly committed to their students, enabling every child to fulfil their potential through inspiring, interactive lessons.
Our recruitment process is rigorous, involving an application form, a face-to-face interview and DBS certification. We select candidates on the basis of their excellent subject knowledge and ability to teach; only the best tutors are successful. We also provide continuous training and professional development opportunities to maintain the highest educational standards.
Our tutors offer outstanding instruction. They are dedicated and professional, ensuring every child develops the skills they need to be successful.
How our Tutors Teach History
Our History tutors work with each child to cultivate a rich understanding of key events and societies in British and world history. As well as preparing children for exams, they develop students’ critical thinking, enabling them to investigate a range of sources in context, as well as evaluating different interpretations of important eras, events and people. We understand that every child is different; our tutors plan each lesson in detail to ensure it meets their student’s individual needs.
At GCSE, students must master exam technique. Students need to be able to manage their time effectively and meet the demands of each question, whether this be describing historical features or assessing the relevance of different sources. Tutors work with students to avoid common pitfalls and develop a detailed understanding of how to meet the assessment criteria. However, our tutors also aim to foster a love of historical enquiry beyond the syllabus. They hope to inspire a life-long love of history in their students.
As well as private tuition, Hampstead & Frognal Tutors also offer GCSE revision courses. The numbers for each course are strictly limited to 6 pupils per class so that every child benefits from individualised attention and support. Our GCSE History tutors also offer online tuition via Skype for families outside London or the U.K – currently we have students from across the globe.
All of our GCSE History Tutors have studied History at either Oxbridge or a Russell Group University.
- 96% of our GCSE History Students achieved level 8 and level 9.
- Over 80% of our GCSE History students continued to study History A-Level.
- 100% of Parents whose children were tutored GCSE History agreed that they would use our services again.
Thank you for sending your tutor, William. He is excellent in everyway. My son responded very positively to the tuition after having a bit of dip during the year. His Revised predicted grades have increased significantly. Heather also teaches the children Maths, and we are extremely grateful for the impact that she has had on their progress.
Susanna, LONDON NW8
Exam Boards we cover
The GCSE History curriculum has changed significantly in recent years both in terms of how grades are awarded and the content covered. At Hampstead & Frognal Tutors we keep abreast of any curriculum changes, tracking each exam specification in close detail.
Our tutors are experienced in preparing students for all exam boards, including AQA, OCR and Edexcel. The key components of the different syllabi are summarised below:
- AQA: In Paper 1, students study a paper relating to the modern world, including one period study and one wider-world depth study. Options for the period study include Germany, 1890-1945: Democracy and dictatorship and Russia, 1894-1945: Tsardom and communism. The options for the wider-world depth study are varied, ranging from study of the First World War to Conflict and tension in the Gulf and Afghanistan, 1990-2009. Paper 2, ‘Shaping the Nation,’ covers thematic studies and British depth studies. Options include studying migration and empire from c750 to the present day or health in Britain from c1000-present.
- OCR: The specification History A: Explaining the Modern World includes topics such as modern China (1850-1981) and the impacts of empire on Britain during the seventeenth century.
- Edexcel: In Paper 1, students demonstrate their understanding of the historic environment. Options include a study of Crime and punishment in Britain (c1000–present), Medicine in Britain (c1250–present) and Warfare in British society. In Paper 2, students take one British depth study option (examples include Henry VIII and his ministers, 1509-40 or Early Elizabethan England 1558-88) and one period study from the wider world, such as Spain and the ‘New World’ (c1490-1555) or Superpower relations and the Cold War (1941-91).
The GCSE grading system has changed significantly over the last year. Results are now awarded numerically from 1 – 9, with grades 7, 8 and 9 corresponding to the old A and A* grades. Our tutors are very familiar with the new assessment criteria and will support your child in understanding the mark schemes so they can access the highest grades.
Is tuition right for your child?
If your child is struggling with a particular topic, tuition can help to build their confidence in the subject. A one-to-one situation allows your child to stop and ask for clarification or pursue an interesting tangent in more detail. Tutors create a calm and relaxed atmosphere where your child feels more at ease engaging in discussion and debate. Similarly, tuition can be an invaluable resource for those aiming for the top grade, as a tutor can extend and develop your child’s understanding through individualised attention.